Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth of July!


Seeing as my mum was up visiting, I thought why not celebrate the fourth of July, for the first time ever!

First of all, I made some very delicious pre-dinner snacks.  They weren't festive for this particular occasion, but Mum loves ladybirds, and had found these on Facebook, so I said I would make them for her when she came up.  Tonight seemed like as good a time as any!


We had a simple, but yummy BBQ dinner with Porterhouse steak and salad and made sure we saved room for dessert... Hidden Flag cake:




 It was a little messy, but I think it turned out pretty well, seeing as I based the design on something I saw on the internet, but didn't have the right 'equipment' to make it exactly.  How clever is that cake?!
 
Little Spring absolutely loved it... she's been on a sugar high for most of the day - licking beaters from the cake batter, from the icing and finally the cake itself!  It was actually very, very sweet, with all the cake and icing in between, that I got a bit of a sugar headache after eating it!  We had 5 adults and Little Spring to taste of the beautiful cake, and this how much is left.  I certainly don't want to be finishing it all off myself!

After dinner, we proceeded to play some American Football... on the Wii!  I found the game today at a bargain shop and wouldn't have bothered buying it except for the fact that it had American Football as one of the games and today was the fourth of July, so couldn't resist!

It wasn't one of the best Wii games we've ever played, but we had fun taking turns and we got into the other games as well - volleyball, cricket, boules, football (soccer) and disc golf.

So, tonight was one of the most interesting fourth of July's I've had, seeing as I've never celebrated it before, but I look forward to trying again next year and perhaps perfecting the hidden flag cake a little!

Did you celebrate Independence Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment