Sunday, July 22, 2012

#33 (36 to 36)

Another task complete!
Make my own pasta for the first time. A friend is lending me her pasta maker and I hope to start using it often so I can justify spending the money on my own and make fresh pasta.
I've made it once so far.  It didn't work out too badly!  Not the best, but it was edible!  The friend who lent me her pasta maker, verbally gave me the instructions on how to make the actual pasta dough.  When I made it based on the memory of what she told me, it didn't really have the right consistency, so I just kept adding ingredients until it felt right.  Because I wasn't fast enough with each step, the dough stuck together a bit, but I made it work as best I could.  When I cooked the pasta, it turned out pretty well, but there were a few more clumps than I would have liked.

However, for my first attempt, I was pretty happy with the end result. I look forward to trying again sometime in the near future!



Have you made homemade pasta before?  If so, please share your recipe... I'd love to try it!  I'm keen to perfect the art!

4 comments:

  1. Good on you for making your own pasta! I don't have the patience for it but my husband enjoys making on the weekend. Another tip for making your own ravioli (without the time taken to use the pasta maker) is to use wonton wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janelle,
    Home made pasta is so much better. I love making my own pasta, but don't get the opportunity as often as I would like. Finding the durum flour is the hardest part. Semolina doesn't work as well for me. Cracked pepper is good to add or fresh basil is fantastic, you just need a bit more flour to accommodate for the extra moisture.

    I have seen ravioli trays where you lay the pasta sheet on top, push the pasts into the mould, add your filling then place the second sheet on top. They make the job look easy.

    God bless,
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, Adrian. I'll have to try out the variations as you suggested. In regards to the trays, the friend who lend me her pasta maker, also lent me her ravioli tray. I'll have to try it out sometime soon!

      Delete